Tuesday, December 09, 2008

happenings

Some character sketches for Kate. I am moving slowly with animation, but I'm confident that I'll have everything drawn by the beginning of February (which is when they're sending the film to the lab to be processed, so I have to have it all shot by then). I haven't been very good at logging my progress here, so I'm doing a bit of catchup.

Last week I went and took some location scouting photos on Citadel Hill in preparation for my stopmotion shots, trying to figure out where roughly I could get the best sky and hill without anything else in the background. Here's some random photos from that journey.

Of course, this being Nova Scotia, we got a dump of snow yesterday, so the location will look rather different for the film itself. I had been going to use the bike of Dawn (a fellow OMF'er), which she had generously offered to let me use, but as of today I will be going with my own bike, flat tires and all, since it's a darker colour and will stand out better against the snow.



Another thing that happened recently in regards to the film which is most wonderful news is that in my quest to find a kite to use in the film that was the "classic diamond" shape, I came across steadywinds.com, the site of Bill Wilson, a local kite afficianado. Not only did Bill help me find places to look for the kites, when they didn't have exactly what I needed, he custom-made an eddy kite (the name of the diamond kite pattern) for the film. It is completely wonderful and exactly what I needed!
My shoot is tomorrow and I picked up my equipment today -- lugging the old wooden camera stand down the street I started getting really excited -- this is it! I hopefully will post more in regards to how the shoot went later on this week.

No comments: