Monday, October 02, 2006

leica reel take 2

If you're curious about my leica reel (draft the second; the first draft is incomprehensible and I will not be showing it around), it's here. It's rather large (83M I think?), so you might have to right-click and save, or else just....wait a while. It's 3:46, which makes me happy as it's right about where I wanted it to be (the first darft was 4:00, which made me a bit nervous).

I had my grad panel this morning and it went well I felt -- the faculty members had lots of good suggestions and didn't seem to get lost, even though one of them had not seen any of my lead-up work to it and didn't know what to expect. I feel like I'm getting closer here... maybe with another draft or two I'll be at the point where I can just start animating / recording sound / etc -- though I don't intend to redraw the whole leica again....my wrists and back area already paying the price of doing that once!

One of the biggest suggestions made (I felt) was to have no music to the film, which is something that I hadn't considered before, though I did intend for the music to be a lot lighter than it is here (and less Philip-Glassy) and to be more of an ambient kind of thing rather than as "40's Melodrama"* as the scratch music is.

In any case, if you do take a gander at the reel, I'd really appreciate some feedback -- there are a few things that I'll definitely be changing (mainly with some of the images as it gets to the climax, though there's a few other places too), but it'd be good to hear what other people think as well. I'm a bit nervous showing this kind of stuff to people partly due to uncertainty about my animation skills and also because I think this project is going to mean a lot to me (not that it doesn't already), but at the same time I want it to be the best film that I can make at this point, and I don't think it's quite there yet. Critiques? Very welcome.
Thanks!


*that's from Marilyn. And it's so true!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Colleen, your leica is amazing! In fact, I already know that your film is going to be great. I really like the speed of the film, the way it leads the viewer throughout the entire thing. To tell you the truth, I think that it is one of the main elements that you should focus on. It is like constantly coming up with surprises that are instantly accepted by the audience as being part of the film.

With so much water and all those transitions, it reminds me like when you are floating on the sea just before the waves start to break. Most times, there's like two or three small waves that don't even break that go by. And you feel how your body raises a little bit and then drops again. However, after those two waves go by, the third big wave comes by; raising your body way more and tightening up your stomach, then letting you go to wait for the next big wave. Ha, sorry for all that huge explanation... but that's the way it feels whenever I'm watching most of the scenes from your film... with the actions being the small waves, and those transitions being the big ones.

colleen said...

thanks for the comments guys, I really apprecite it!