Sunday, October 29, 2006

trying to find the grindstone

Work on my film has been exceedingly slow these past few weeks. I've come to the realization that I always like having a lot of little things to do; small projects and artworks and such. I think, though, that to get this film done by April I'm realllly going to have to cut back on them. Fortunately I don't have too many more non-grad-film related school projects to do, so I can focus in that regard at least.

The things I'm working on this weekend include:
  • starting rough animation
  • finishing my leica reel changes
    (here's three panels that I scanned together that I thought looked kind of cool when all put together for some reason:)
  • deciding once and for all whether I am doing this in HD or SD! I keep flip-flopping....I'd do it in HD, but I don't want to get to April and have to turn in my film late because I am rendering....plus since I have so much after effects compositing to do I'm afraid it'll slow that stage down. But at the same time it'd be nice to work in HD.....hm, I don't know.
  • starting to get a list of needed sounds down as I will be recording my first foley session on wednesday or thursday (or both). The sounds in my reel still are really not how I would want them, but I think I'd prefer to just start getting things how I want them than fiddle around with scratch sound forever.
Here's an image of what is technically not the first animation that I will do on this film (as I did a watercolour-boil test a few weeks ago), but it is probably the first bit of animation that has the possibility of ending up in the acual film in some way. It's one leg of a polar bear, ha ha!
My desk, while I was working:
Note the Richard Williams book for reference (that doesn't have quadriped walk cycles in it for some reason it seems!) , the loose bear skeleton for anatomy, the tea for drinking, the apple for eating, and the pencil....for drawing.

Hopefully I'll have the final draft of my leica up sometime this week!

1 comment:

colleen said...

Oh MAN! How did I miss that! Shoot! Thanks for the tip!

Yeah, I did decide to go that route after Marilyn discussed it with me -- I am mostly worried about slowing down the compositing in after effects, but I'll do a few tests. HD it is!

Thanks!